Having the style of hair you like for a headshot is another very important aspect for a successful shoot. Too many times I have heard people say, “I don’t like my hair”! The makeup artist on set is able to do some basic styling and grooming, but you will not be in a beauty salon. A trip to your regular salon a few days before a shoot is a great idea.
A recent headshot I did with a client was an excellent example of how well this can work. My client showed up with fresh, clean hair and a new cut, that she loved. The makeup artist loved it too, because she knew the makeup she was about to do would really compliment the style. That is a good start, rather than, “I just came from the salon, my regular girl wasn’t there and I hate what this one did”! That kind of energy instills confidence in no one! Of course, being the pro’s that we are, we always find a way to make it work. But why make it harder than it has to be?
The makeup artist is also there throughout the shoot to check your hair, catch those fly away and loose hairs, making sure it looks its best for each shot.
Below are a few tips that can help you prepare for your photo session.
Dos and Don’ts for hair:
– Have your hair clean and cut the way you like before you show up for your photo shoot.
– Have your hair the colour you are planning on keeping it for a while, unless you are prepared to get new shots every time you colour it.
– Do not have it up in a bun for 2 days before the shoot.
– Do not arrive with wet hair.
– Don’t risk having a new hair style that you’ve never had before. It could end up being the only reason why you don’t like your photos.